Near Cochem, in the romantic valley of the Wilde Endert rise the mighty ruins of Winneburg Castle on a prominent rock. The huge keep, the main hall with two half-towers and the barrel vaulting of the gateway to the courtyard were built in the middle of the 13th century. Cuno of Winesberg presumably built the castle. Then followed a colourful history: extension in the 15th century, since 1652 owned by the barons of Metterich, destroyed in 1689 and sold by auction in 1802. In 18322 the Austrian chancellor, Clemens Lothar von Metternich-Winneburg purchased the castle from the Prussian treasury. Since 1935 it is property of the city of Cochem.
Opening hours: free access all year