The engine noise of the racing cars on the circuit of the Nürburgring easily distracts the spectator of the fact that the height with the Nürburg castle is an old area of settlement since the Roman time. In the 12th century the earls of Are erected on the ?mons nore?, the black mountain, this castle of which vast ruins are left over. At the foot of the mountain the visitor comes upon the remnants of the Romanesque chapel built around 1200. A winding path leads to the big double-doored main gate of the castle. With its numerous towers protected by characteristic pyramid roofs it dominates the scenery all around. The core building, safeguarded by a circular wall and by an inner gate, was constructed at the beginning of the 13th century. The big round belfry still has the late Romanesque ribbed vault. From its platform one has a splendid view over the wide and wooded scenery of the Eifel.
(Text: Burgen, Schlösser, Altertümer, Rheinland-Pfalz, Iris Ketterer, with kind permission by the editor)
from April 1 till September 30, from 9 a.m. till 1 p.m. and from 2 p.m. till 6 p.m.;
from October 1 till March 31, from 9 a.m. till 1 p.m. and from 2 p.m. till 5 p.m.
Last admittance: half an hour before closing time.
Closed in December and at every first working day of the week