Tel.: (02421) 1 31 21
Fax: (02421) 1 37 64
Although within sight the Upper Castle and the Lower Castle do not belong together at all. On the contrary, they had a hostile attitude. While the first belonged to the electorate of Trier, the other was in possession of the Luxembourgers. It was the family estate of the counts of Manderscheid, a mighty dynasty in the Eifel. French revolutionary troops destroyed the castle in 1794. In 1982 the so-called ?Portenhaus? with its corner tower were restored. Well kept are the chapel, the hall of the main building with its vaulted cellar as well as the keep with the ramparts.
Opening hours: March 1st till November 15th and during Christmas holidays.
Admittance: 10.30 a.m. ? 5 p. m.
Extras: Historical castle festival at last weekend in August, historical Christmas celebrations at 1st weekend in Advent