The castle consists of a number of well fortified buildings presumably going back to a Roman foundation. It was first mentioned in 1212 as property of Knight Scheych von Lissingen, who built the oldest part of the present castle in the 13th century. The castle was first a fief of the prince abbey of Prüm, later one of the archbishop and prince bishop of Trier. Then it became the seat of a nobleman directly dependent on the emperor. Baron Zahnd von Merl zu Lissingen completed the former water castle with several buildings to the present complex. Since the 19th century it has been in possession of bourgeois families. It was then used as an estate for many years. 1987 a new proprietor started a careful restoration of the castle carefully. At the present time the castle has a restaurant and rooms for cultural events.
Opening-hours: castle pasture with path of sculptures open all year
Extras: Premises for cultural events, markets, exhibitions, presentations, celebrations and weddings.
Catering: Castle Restaurant